Saturday, July 15, 2006

Live in Moscow

Nice to be back in Moscow. Have been here plenty before, but this time it seemed better, more beautiful and more interesting than ever, maybe the scorching sunshine and the kind of clothing that it influences the Russian women to wear had something to do with it. I stayed in a different area to previous visits, quite central though and meant I was within walking distance of Krasnaya Ploschadt (Red Square) along Prospekt Mira which is exactly what I did first. Around Red square, one of the huge old building has been demolished and although some building work is going on, a whole new area has opened up with a couple of little street cafes and restaurants. Looks better and more spacious than before. Along to Aleksandrovsky gardens and they are as busy as ever with people sitting everywhere drinking beer, wine or champagne in the warm evening sunshine.

Next evening I hear there is a free concert at Red Square, Scorpions, Tatu and Craig David (mmm, yeah i know) are mentioned ! Get there around 6ish, later than expected due to the massive detour required to get to an entrance and I go, see some rapper whose music I recognise, so must be quite famous, but I do not recognise the face, will check it out later. Also some female singer I don't know, but have heard her music too... Anyway all worth standing through if I get to see Tatu on stage later !! Awesome the though of seeing Tatu live on Red Square ! See some Russian bands I don't know, then, oh no !!! Craig David.. I can't bear it after 2 minutes and have to rush off to get a beer (none on sale anywhere at the concert). I wander back to the stalls I know of 10 minutes away, oh no!! they will not sell beer !!. Find a couple of shops, also their beer shelves are closed, disaster. Eventually give up and head back along the huge detour and when I get there The Scorpions are just about to come on. Very popular in Russia it seems ! And then, it all finishes, what happened to Tatu ???? I don't believe it.. Did i miss them when I went for a beer, were they on in the afternoon ? Did they drop out ? Devastated...



Left: The Scorpions rocking Moscow Red Square 'like a hurricane' as they would say.
Right: GUM on red square after leaving the concert.

No comments: