Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Bishkek and around

Arrived in rainy Bishkek from sunny Osh. First rain I have seen since Moscow, way back on 14 July, exactly 9 weeks ago, so bit of a shock. I know that day in Mosocw well as it rained like I have rarely seen rain before, torrential downpouring from the skies, massive thunder and lightning and flooded streets... So on the bus into town I even had to get a jacket out on the minibus into town as it actually felt cold, I haven't felt cold for even longer, way back in Bosnia in the early days of my journey in early June, is the last time I had to wear my warm top or coat. Seems the temperature has dropped some 15 degrees between Osh and Bishkek..

Bishkek seemed OK, nothing special, but has a bit of character, again like Almaty, many parks, though it doesn't strike me as being quite so attractive to wander around and I wonder how soon before I will get bored. I stay in the 'Saray Chelek' hotel for two nights but it's pretty awful so decide to change and eventually get into the Sakura Guesthouse (after days of trying by e-mail and phone I eventually get in by just turning up), a new place run by a Japanese/Kyrgyz couple that was recommended to me by John (who has been mentioned previously in Romania, Odessa and Almaty). It's nice there and plenty of other independent travellers, mainly Japanese.

On my second day in Bishkek, I met up with Aisuluu who I was put in touch with by my friend Catherine in Amsterdam, they used to work together in the US and Aisuluu now lives in Bishkek once more. We talked of going to Issik Kul together or a day trip to one of the many canyons in the Bishkek region, but in the end plans did not match and I stayed a couple of extra days in Bishkek, happier with my new temporary home. So it was nice when three of the Japanese at the hostel asked if I wanted to join them in a taxi to Ala Archa for the day, exactly what I wanted and we headed off there for a few hours to clamber around rocks, rivers, streams and trees in the sunny and fresh mountain air. A nice day out of the city.



Left & Right: From Ala-Archa canyon.


Next day I will leave to Issik-Kul lake, but return here in around 10 days..

No comments: